Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Six-Letter-Word up for Nine Days











My cousin in LA called me to tell me that this sign stayed up beside the 405 for nine days, which is pretty amazing given that over 500,000 cars passed by it, at about eight miles per hour, every day. It's not that hard to get to, and when I put it up I didn't expect it to last more than an hour or two. That it would stay up for so long without anyone taking it down is, frankly, pretty damn weird, and one of the things that fascinates me about this artform.

On the other hand, nobody else bothered to put up any signs of their own either, which is the other thing that strikes me as odd about freewayblogging: if it's such an easy and effective way to express yourself, why aren't more people doing it?

Yesterday I got this picture in the mail. It was put up about 500 yards from where the Six-Letter-Word sign had been posted. The guy who did it said that even though the "Murder" sign was down, this one was still up:

If you live in LA and feel like saying something to a couple hundred thousand of your compatriots, I suggest using the 405 between Venice Boulevard and the Santa Monica Freeway.

No comments: